How to Use Pendrive as RAM in Windows 8, Windows 7:Before entering into the procedure we will know about the minimum requirements to use pendrive as RAM.
- At least you need 1GB pendrive and it have 512 minimum free space.
- It must have 5MB/Sec throughput for random 4k reads across the whole device.
- It must have 3MB/Sec throughput for random 512k writes across the whole device.
Enable Ready Boost in Windows 7/Windows 8:1. To do this you need to plug in USB drive to computer and it automatically suggests some actions which are done by USB drive.
2. Select “speed up my system” from auto play to open ready boost in windows 7/windows 8.
5. Ready boost feature have 3 options.
Do not Use this Device: This option is used to disable readyboost feature
Dedicate this Device to Ready Boost: This option uses maximum available space on USB drive without removing files on USB drive.
Use this Device: This Option leaves little bit of space on USB drive and remaining will be allocated for ready boost. You can customize memory using slider.
6. After choosing option click on ok button to use pendrive as RAM in windows 7, windows 8.
Is it Worth to Use Pendrive as RAM?For this,my Answer is no. Because if you have enough RAM on your pc then there is no much difference. If your pc runs on low memory like 512 MB RAM or 1 GB then this readyboost feature will be helpful. Here is the benchmark report of ready boost feature performed by famous technology website Anand tech.
Note: In my testing it shows different types of errors, first I try to enable ready boost from USB auto play options. Then it displays a message which means “your device doesn’t meet requirements” something like that, so if you face same problem then try to test your USB drive again by clicking on the “Test Again” button.